The aim of this focus area is to develop plans and take proactive action to position our system of Catholic schools to respond effectively to contemporary challenges and shape the future in the interests of our students.
As Catholic educators, we are the custodians of a precious gift that has been nurtured for more than 200 years in this country. But in a world defined by near-constant change, the ongoing flourishing of Catholic schools needs our ongoing and explicit attention.
We have a responsibility to look beyond the immediate needs of the people we serve and the issues we currently face to consider how we will ensure the long-term mission viability and sustainability of our system, so that Catholic schools in the Diocese of Wollongong remain affordable, available and accessible to future generations of children and young people.
To ensure we are prepared to thrive regardless of what the future may hold, we will bring together expertise from across schools, the CEO and our partner organisations to analyse trends, anticipate possible scenarios, and determine what action must be taken now and in the years to come.
The work of this focus area will include designing innovative approaches to learning delivery, building contemporary and inspiring facilities, ensuring sustainable funding sources, and shaping a future-fit workforce grounded in our Catholic identity. While the future remains uncertain, we will respond creatively to emerging challenges and opportunities as we continue to support the faith, learning and wellbeing of students in our vibrant, inclusive and nurturing Catholic school communities.
Outcomes and improvement indicators
School facilities, tools and technologies are in place to cater to growing enrolment demand and deliver equitable, high-quality learning
Our workforce is effective, adaptive and able to continue meeting student needs regardless of changes within or outside our system of schools
Systemic Catholic schools in the Diocese of Wollongong remain affordable, available and accessible within the context of our society and the local and global Church
The intention of this focus area is to look beyond our day-to-day operations to the opportunities and challenges of the future. This requires openness and a willingness to explore, test and fail. As a result, no short-term improvement indicators have been set for these outcomes.
Achieving our outcomes
To drive improvement in this focus area, we will:
- Continue to foster a positive culture underpinned by faithfulness to our Catholic identity and a readiness to adapt and respond to changes in our environment.
- Provide support and professional development to principals and school leadership teams to enhance their strategic leadership of school and system improvement.
- Develop long-term plans to ensure an evidence-based and proactive approach to our workforce, technology, finances, asset management, and capital works.
- Continue to invest in sustainable contemporary and emerging technologies and infrastructure.
- Enable space for innovation and creative thinking that challenges the status quo, to proactively realise future opportunities and address potential problems.
- Develop funding and school provisioning models that support sustainability and transparency in educational and operational accountabilities.
- Strengthen partnerships with relevant Catholic and community organisations and respond to the outcomes of the Plenary Council and the evolving call of the Church, particularly in relation to the ‘future of Catholic education through a missionary lens’.